Did you know you could replace sugar in muffins with honey??!! As I learn more about white sugar I am trying to use less of it in baking. It’s not easy but I try. With these banana orange honey muffins I wanted to try either maple syrup or honey to replace the sugar. I had some leftover orange honey (was a Christmas gift) on hand and thought I would add some to my banana muffins instead of sugar. They turned out really good with just a hint of orange, and now I’m not so afraid to replace sugar with honey in certain recipes! If you don’t have honey or maple syrup on hand, use 1/2 cup white sugar instead.
Here we go…
- 4-5 mashed bananas
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup honey
- ½ tsp orange zest
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare muffin tins with liners or coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl beat together bananas, oil, honey, orange zest and orange juice.
- In a second medium sized bowl sift together your flour, baking soda, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Add chocolate chips and toss lightly.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet and stir until just combined. Spoon into muffin cups about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on racks and keep in container with a lid.