Hubs and I are trying to work out more and with that comes feeding your body the right foods for muscle growth. We’ve committed to an event in August that will be testing our endurance, cardio and over all strength. Enough procrastinating, it’s time to start preparing.
Our family loves brown rice. I started feeding it to the kids when they were small(er), they took to it, and still like it to this day. I got hubs to eat it by sprinkling feta on it. Like I do with quinoa, I’ve made up a big batch of brown rice for the week so hubs and I can have it for lunch. Today he is eating his with leftover steak, sliced and warmed in some juices (Au jus) which I think will taste pretty good.
I decide to make myself some brown rice bowls this week. The great thing about this style of eating is you can add anything to it you like. Find a protein, dressing and the veggies or supporting staff (nuts, dried fruit, etc.) you like, and you are ready to build a brown rice bowl. Today I made a Moroccan style dish using Roasted Cauliflower & Chick Peas. I topped it with a home made orange sesame ginger dressing that I admittedly put too much garlic in. There will be no Vampires in this house today. You can make your own dressing or use your favourite store bought. And for the greens, use one or all three (mint, cilantro, spinach) if you have. Remember anything goes. You could even use flat leaf parsley.
This is food for one so double it if you plan on sharing!
- 1 cup warm cooked brown rice
- ¼ cup carrot, shredded
- ¼ cup green leaf mix (mint, cilantro and spinach, rough chopped)
- ½ roasted cauliflower and chick peas
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 tbsp toasted almonds
- ¼ orange ginger sesame salad dressing
- In a bowl or on a plate place your brown rice.
- Place each item (carrots, green leaf mix, cauliflower and chick peas, raisins, and almonds) on top of the brown rice.
- Drizzle salad dressing on top or serve on the side.