This started as a chickpea, brussels sprout & lentil salad. I’ve got this thing for brussels sprouts lately and have to have them with everything. Almost. With lots of options in my fridge, I decided to try my hand at a Salad in a Jar. What a great idea to prepare in advance and take for lunch or a picnic. This salad tasted better the next day.
It turned out so well I decided to throw another recipe into the hat for the Canadian Lentils Contest. With 5 categories to enter, I’ve already entered my Berry Lentil Smoothie into “Freestyle”. This might be the last one I enter before the contest deadline, just not sure yet.
With this salad I added in some zucchini, Ned Bell ocean-wise tuna, spinach, pepitas, and we were on our way to my version of Salad In A Jar. To learn how to roast chickpeas click on this recipe: Roasted Cauliflower & Chick Peas. Use any spice you like or none at all. Salt & pepper roasted chick peas are equally delicious.
You don’t have to use matching jars either, use any jars you can find just adjust quantities for the size of the jar.
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 3-4 Brussels Sprouts halved and sliced into shreds
- 1 cup roasted or regular canned chickpeas
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- ½ lime or lemon, juiced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1-2 cans chunk light tuna packed water
- ½ cup pepitas
- 1 carrot, peeled & grated
- Package spinach
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- To make the Lentil, Brussels Sprouts & Chickpea Salad combine lentils, brussels sprouts, chickpeas and parsley. Set aside.
- Whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, lime or lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt & pepper. Pour 2 tbsp of dressing on lentil salad mixing to combine.
- In a separate bowl toss together tuna with pepitas and grated carrots.
- Assemble your salad:
- Equally distribute the rest of the dressing amongst 4 mason jars
- Add ¼ cup of sliced zucchini
- Add ½ cup lentil salad
- Divide your tuna mixture between all jars.
- Stuff the rest of the mason jar with spinach. Put your lid on and store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.