I love all things squash, I really do. That’s why this Acorn Squash, Roasted Garlic & Kale Pasta is a keeper in our house…even Hubs admittedly really, really liked it.
One of our Vegetarian nieces stopped in for dinner last evening and so I was able to taste test a new recipe. I love it when the Vegetarians come over since Hubs is a true Carnivore who enjoys his daily dose of meat. I on the other hand enjoy all kinds of foods, love experimenting and putting meatless meals on the table. So he gets steak and I get a vegetarian meal…it’s a Win Win. The kids will pretty much try anything although they love a good “juicy steak” just like their dad!
You can add more chili flakes it you like it spicy or less if you don’t. My kids found this amount a little on the spicy side.
- 1 head of garlic, roasted
- 1 acorn squash, sliced in half lengthwise, cored and then in ½ inch pieces crosswise
- ½ bunch curly kale, tough stems/ribs removed, washed & thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ¾ lb medium pasta shells (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss sliced acorn squash with olive oil, salt & pepper. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and roast until lightly golden 20 – 25 minutes. Check half way through and turn over. Once soft, remove from oven, cut off skin and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water add your pasta shells. Cook 1 minute less than package instructions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water.
- Remove roasted garlic from skins. Set aside.
- Blanch chopped kale in boiling, salted water for 2 minutes. Remove and let water drain.
- In saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter. Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil. Let butter bubble for a few minutes. Add hot pepper flakes, kale & roasted garlic. Season with salt & pepper. Saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add squash, pasta and 1 cup reserved cooking water. Stir & simmer for another couple minutes. Add ½ cup parmesan cheese and pour pasta into your serving dish. Toss with remaining ½ cup parmesan cheese and fresh black pepper.
- Serve immediately.