Summer is coming, grilling has ramped up, camping is around the corner and I’m all about the grill this year. And pulled meat. With Canadian Beef prices here in Canada skyrocketing, there won’t be much beef in our house this year. It’s a sad state of affairs when you can actually buy lobster cheaper than Alberta beef. Here’s hoping things change and we get back to some better prices.
In light of watching our beef intake, we came up with this Asian Pulled Chicken recipe cooked in our slow cooker. I’ve played with these flavours many times before and decided with a broken stove I needed to get creative with dinners. So I pulled out the slow cooker, added all my favourite ingredients and success! Asian Pulled Chicken was born.
Since my chicken breasts were boneless it’s important to note they will cook quickly. I gave them 1.5 – 2 hours tops in the slow cooker before I pulled them out avoiding dry chicken. Wrapped them in foil and set them aside until ready. Boneless chicken breasts will take a little longer and hold the moisture. I pulled the chicken apart with my fingers and put the leftover liquid into a saucepan to reduce and intensify flavours.
I topped this chicken with some sliced green onions and served with buns. Feel free to add a slaw or dressed green salad as a topper.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 white onion, sliced
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- ½ tsp sambel oelek
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Place chicken breasts in slowcooker and cover with onions.
- Whisk together honey, soy sauce, sherry, garlic cloves, sesame oil, oyster sauce and sambel oelek.
- Pour over chicken & onions, stirring to ensure all of chicken coated.
- Cover slowcooker and cook on low for 1.5-2 hours.
- Remove chicken, cover and set aside.
- Pour remaining liquid into saucepan. Bring to a boil and drop heat to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes to reduce slightly.
- Shred chicken with a fork or your fingers. Place in a bowl and pour liquid over chicken stirring to combine.
- Serve with buns.