When my husband and I first met we were all sports all the time. Then kids came along and sports went by the way side. Kids are only little once and we choose to do family activities vs spending tons of time in front of the TV. Doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy game day food however!!
Super bowl was coming, we all love bacon, and chili (well the boy picks the beans out), so while shopping for groceries I decided on a bacon turkey chili for game day supper. And to add another level of flavour, I was going to add in some of the chipotle in adobo sauce I had resting in the fridge. Even though we didn’t get to watch the game, we enjoyed our game day chili.
My husband loves deviled eggs and admittedly I do to. But it’s a once a year kind of ordeal. We hadn’t had them in so long I again decided on a whim to make deviled eggs. After all it was super bowl Sunday. In addition I sliced up some sweet potato into thin slices and sauteed in the pan for some extra goodness.
It’s really popular to “put an egg on it” these days, so I put a deviled egg on the chili. I had an aha moment. One of my new favourite things and next time it will either be a fried or poached egg that goes on top.
- ½ package bacon, chopped
- 1 large shallot (or two smallish ones), diced
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- 2-3 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp chipotle in adobo
- salt & pepper
- 1 - 796 ml can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ can tomato sauce
- 1 - 340 ml can red kidney beans, rinsed
- In a large pot add bacon and render over medium heat until cooked.
- Add shallot and saute for 2 minutes. Add in your turkey and cook with bacon & shallot until no more pink remains breaking it up as you go.
- Stir in cumin, chili powder, a good pinch of salt & pepper, chipotle in adobo, diced tomatoes, chicken stock and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Let flavours marry for about 30 minutes or so. Pour in your beans stirring to mix in.
- Simmer another 10 minutes and then serve with your favourite fixins or put an egg on it.
Fixins: chopped peppers, onion, grated cheese, chopped tomatoes