I’m bringing Biscotti Back…..
My mom introduced me to Biscotti over 20 years ago. And I liked it. I admittedly have not made Biscotti for a couple years now… but figured this year was the time to bring it back into our Christmas Baking Rotation as part of my 12 Days of Holiday Baking.
I had all the ingredients to make the original recipe which called for almonds, but did not have any almonds on hand. So I went ahead and used toasted pecans instead also adding in cranberries and cinnamon.
It’s a lovely crunchy cookie to have either as is or dipped in coffee, tea or hot chocolate.
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup toasted pecans
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add in pecans, cranberries and stir. IN a separate bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, orange extract and orange zest. Stir into flour mixture and combine until soft. Dough will be sticky. You can add in a little more flour if you find it to be to sticky.
- On a lightly floured surface form dough into a smooth ball. Divide in half and roll each half into a foot long log. Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush tops with egg white.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on sheet for about 5 minutes.
- Remove logs to cutting board and slice ¾ inch thick slices on the diagonal. Stand cookies upright on baking sheet and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove biscotti to rack and let cool. Store in sealed container.