Every year Calgary Meals on Wheels organizes a month long hot chocolate festival. There are some amazing entries and I find myself drinking more hot chocolate in one month then I have for the past 20 years. I’m not big on sweet, but more savory or I’ll take my coffee black please. The hot chocolate creations are so inspiring and I always want to make my own variation at home. This year I finally did using Cococo Chocolatiers [Bernard Callebaut] chocolate morsels and chocolate shavings. It ended up being one of the best hot chocolates I’ve ever attempted. If you can’t find this specific chocolate where you live you can order it on line.
In my pantry I had an older can of Dulce de Leche sweetened condensed milk. Have you ever tried this stuff? Goodness it’s hard not to sit there and eat it ALL with a spoon. I may or may not have tried. The kids had gone to the park with their dad and dog so I wanted to surprise them with a thicker and different hot chocolate when they returned home. Into the pot went the sweetened condensed milk (after I sampled it to make sure it was still good) and the rest of the ingredients followed. I love a bit of heat in hot chocolate or well anything, so I added cayenne pepper to the grown ups mugs, but not the kids.
Fresh whipped cream (or heck ya even the stuff you spray from a can) and chocolate shavings are a must. Take it camping, enjoy it after skiing, add something saucy to it like maybe ouzo or brandy and call it your own special creation.
- 1 300ml can Dulce de Leche sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 1 tbsp chocolate morsels or chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- kosher salt
- sprinkle of cayenne
- whipped cream
- chocolate shavings
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat add your sweetened condensed milk, cocoa, cinnamon, milk, vanilla and a small pinch of salt. Stir regularly until you see small bubbles appear - do not boil.
- Turn your heat down to medium and stir in your chocolate morsels/chips and cayenne pepper if using. Stir until chocolate has melted.
- Pour hot chocolate into mugs, top with whipping cream and chocolate shavings.