Making pulled pork is as simple as putting the pork roast in the slow cooker and letting it cook all day omitting wonderful fragrances into your home. With many options out there for flavouring your pork, it really comes down to preference, ingredients on hand and what flavours appeal to you. For example husband had some Village Brewery Blacksmith (beer) hanging around. I had a pork roast. We married the two with some spices and new a pulled pork recipe was born. I purposely kept the flavours simple as I wanted to have leftover pork for pork carnitas the next day. This is why the barbecue sauce in this recipe is served on the side.
Since I’m trying to be more organized with my meals, my motto for this year is cook once and stretch it into 2-3 meals. We typically make Braised Pork in the oven, however nothing beats getting your meat and/or ingredients ready, set into the slow cooker and the refrigerator the night before, to bring it out and on the next morning.
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 5-7 lb boneless pork shoulder or pork butt
- 1 medium sized onion sliced thin
- 1 lime juice
- 1 bottle beer 2-3 cups
- Olive oil
- In a bowl mix together cumin, pepper, salt, oregano, garlic powder and chili powder. Rub all over pork and let set in refrigerator covered overnight or for at least an hour.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil and onions to a hot frying pan. Cook for about 5 minutes until starting to soften.
- Using Pam spray inside of slow cooker. Add onions, pork, lime juice and beer. Drizzle olive oil over top and let it cook up to 8 hours for low or 5 hours on high. The pork is done with it flakes easily.
- Remove from slow cooker and let sit for a few minutes on a baking sheet. Shred with two forks and add to serving plate or bowl. Pour additional juices from slow cooker over top including onions.
- Serve with your favourite barbecue sauce and fresh buns.
- Since we didn't have a slaw to go with the pulled pork, we put out some fresh toppers including: sliced red onion, cilantro, sliced fresh jalapenos