Most of you know I adore smoothies and have been making them since as far as I can remember…the 90’s…80’s? Don’t judge me, my memory is not the best at times! My kids love them and I have even managed to get my husband drinking them (and hiding all kinds of goodies inside).
I admittedly am not a leader and never have been. I don’t jump on band wagons to be the first to do, try or make things…nor do I have to get the latest and greatest item. I choose to take a different approach rather, and that is observe. I’m a huge people watcher and love to watch how things play out. I’ve been observing the smoothie bowl trend for awhile now and never had any interest in making one since I prefer to drink my smoothies vs scooping them up with a spoon.
But sometimes curiously gets the best of me and I bite. So I bit, twice for a magazine. This is the first of two recipes I created for an article. I’ve seen pictures of smoothie bowls come through my feeds and honestly never liked the looks of many of them – the lines of toppings across the smoothie – not my thing. So I tried a different approach with mine and topped it with a quick fruit salsa, making it pretty and simple.
When it came time to test them after all the photographing was done, I spooned, I scooped and honestly I quite enjoyed the experience. I even strawed this party in a bowl, for one.
I may or may not be converted now. Which do you prefer, smoothie bowls or smoothies in a glass/cup?
- 1 cup frozen mango
- ¼ cup fresh cut pineapple
- 1 banana
- ½ avocado
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- Chia seeds
- Organic coconut flakes, lightly toasted
- Pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh mango, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh pineapple, diced
- ½ kiwi, diced
- To make salsa lightly mix together 1 tbsp mango, 1 tbsp pineapple, 1 tbsp kiwi and 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds. Set aside.
- Add mango, ¼ cup pineapple, banana, avocado, coconut milk and pineapple juice to blender. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl, add your tropical salsa and toppings. Use a spoon or straw to scoop up the deliciousness. Serve immediately.