I love all things squash, I really do. That’s why this Acorn Squash, Roasted Garlic & Kale Pasta is a keeper in our house…even Hubs admittedly really, really liked it.
One of our Vegetarian nieces stopped in for dinner last evening and so I was able to taste test a new recipe. I love it when the Vegetarians come over since Hubs is a true carnivore who enjoys his daily dose of meat. I on the other hand enjoy all kinds of foods, love experimenting and putting meatless meals on the table. So he gets steak and I get a vegetarian meal…it’s a Win Win. The kids will pretty much try anything although they love a good “juicy steak” just like their dad (mini me carnivores).
You can add more chili flakes it you like it spicy or less if you don’t. My kids found this amount a little on the spicy side.
- 1 head of garlic roasted
- 1 acorn squash sliced in half lengthwise, cored and then in 1/2 inch pieces crosswise
- 1/2 bunch curly kale tough stems/ribs removed, washed & thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 3/4 lb medium pasta shells approx. 3 cups
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss sliced acorn squash with olive oil, salt & pepper. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and roast until lightly golden 20 - 25 minutes. Check half way through and turn over. Once soft, remove from oven, cut off skin and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water add your pasta shells. Cook 1 minute less than package instructions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water.
- Remove roasted garlic from skins. Set aside.
- Blanch chopped kale in boiling, salted water for 2 minutes. Remove and let water drain.
- In saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter. Add 1-2 tbsp olive oil. Let butter bubble for a few minutes. Add hot pepper flakes, kale & roasted garlic. Season with salt & pepper. Saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add squash, pasta and 1 cup reserved cooking water. Stir & simmer for another couple minutes. Add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and pour pasta into your serving dish. Toss with remaining 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and fresh black pepper.
- Serve immediately.