Delicious beef soup on a cold, fall/winter day comes in the form of our Beef Minestrone Soup in the Crockpot. Many variations of Minestrone soup are available, this is one version we enjoy. We prefer to cook our pasta and add it separately since when it sits in the soup over night (leftovers) it tends to soak up all the soup broth.
In the photo I did not have cabbage for this some so I shredded extra zucchini and added in some chopped carrots & celery. Really anything goes.
Our preferred noodles for this soup are Ditali noodles but you could use macaroni or any smaller type noodle.
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley minced (dried works too if you do not have fresh)
- Splash tbsp worcestershire sauce
- Splash hot sauce
- 1 16oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups napa cabbage chopped
- 1 15oz can cannellini or white navy beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup zucchini grated
- 1 1/2 cup cooked macaroni
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium high heat, add a little oil and quickly sear your stew beef in small batches. Transfer to crock pot.
- Next add in your broth, onions, thyme, bay leaves, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, tomatoes, cabbage and salt/pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. At about 6-8 hours add in your beans, zucchini and parsley. Allow to cook another 30 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile cook your pasta, drain, mix in some butter and set aside.
- When serving ladle some soup into a bowl, add some macaroni and top with a good heaping of parmesan. Yum.