I admittedly have never made a Bolognese Sauce. How crazy is that?! The family loves my basic ground beef spaghetti sauce and I rarely change it up. Time to break out of the mold as we encourage new flavours and food experiences.
As I was preparing my weekly menu, I came across Jamie Oliver’s recipe for an easy Bolognese Sauce. I decided it was time to shake things up and try a new sauce. Only decision I had to make is would I tell the family it was a new sauce or let them come to that conclusion on their own. A Bolognese Sauce is an Italian Classic sauce made in different ways, using wines and herbs. Jamie’s version is simple (no wine) and very tasty. We tend to eat family style so when supper came it was put on the table. They tasted the difference and the family loved it. It’s a keeper and now in the rotation!
- 3 slices bacon sliced thin
- 1 medium onion chopped small
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots chopped small
- 2 celery stalks chopped small
- 2 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp basil dried
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 x 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil
- Add your bacon to a pan and cook over medium heat. After bacon has been cooking a few minutes add your oregano. Cook bacon until lightly browned.
- Add your onions, carrots, celery, garlic and stir to combine. Cook until vegetables have softened.
- Add your ground beef & pork, the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Fill half the empty tomato can with water and add to the pan. Stir in a good pinch of salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Turn down the heat, cover and simmer for approximately 1 hour stirring occasionally. Remove lid and simmer an additional 30 minutes. Keep an eye on the sauce so it does not dry out (add water if you need to). Remove from heat and add your parmesan, stirring to combine. Tear and stir in your basil.
- Serve with your favourite kind of pasta, adding extra parmesan cheese and fresh basil on top, a drizzle of olive oil and more salt & pepper as needed.