A classic Italian-North American dish, this simple Chicken Parmesan is first sauteed in a pan and finished in the oven. Serve with a robust tomato sauce and your favourite pasta noodle.
Simple Chicken Parmesan
Chicken parmesan is another one of those dishes I make so regularly, I never thought to document the process as it comes naturally. Since this blog has always been about my kids + family and documenting recipes for them, I’m finally documenting the process!
Prep is key to making sure this dish comes together quickly. Have each component ready to go. Your tomato sauce warming on the stove, the dishes ready for breading and a sauce pan heating on the oven to gently cook the breaded chicken. Preheat your oven, prepare your baking dish and grate your cheese. Assembly will be easy at this point.
The Tomato Sauce
A good tomato sauce is key. This is an easy recipe so you can keep it simple by using jarred sauce. Or make my Basic Tomato Sauce and freeze any leftovers!
We enjoy using any of the following noodles: rigatoni, fusili, penne, or ziti. You could certainly use a long noodle in this dish, cause really anything goes!
If you are ready to start cooking, check out some of our pro tips first!
- Lay the chicken flat and slice in half lengthwise. It’s a more delicate and lighter bite than the whole breast.
- Buy bread crumbs and add seasonings.
- Pound your chicken evenly to ensure even cooking. If you do not have a meat hammer, use a rolling pin.
- Change breadcrumbs and use crushed saltines, ritz crackers, even corn flakes.
- If you don’t want to dirty two baking dishes, a sheet pan covered with tin foil works great.
Some of our favourite chicken recipes you should try!
- Chicken Shawarma
- Simple Roast Chicken
- Chicken Milanese with Greens
- Coconut Chicken Thighs
- Sticky Hoisin Orange Chicken
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless halved
- 3-4 cups homemade tomato sauce or 2 jars of your favourite sauce
- 1 cup grated cheese, mozzarella, provolone or a blend
- 1 package shake & bake, or seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Splash of Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350. Warm tomato sauce.
- Lay chicken between two pieces of parchment or wax paper. Gently pound chicken to an even thickness.
- In a pie plate mix together shake and bake, oregano, parsley and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese.
- In another pie dish, mix together flour, salt, pepper and basil.
- In a third dish or bowl mix beat your eggs.
- Start by coasting chicken breasts in flour, then dipping in eggs and finally shake and bake mixture.
- Heat a fry pan to med/high heat. Add oil and butter. Sear chicken about 3-5 minutes or until nicely browned on both sides. Remove chicken to paper towel lined platter and set aside.
- Spoon a little of the warmed tomato sauce on bottom of greased casserole dish.
- Place chicken breasts on top of tomato sauce in casserole dish, one beside the other so they form a single layer. Sprinkle a good handful of cheese (or cheese slice) on top of each breast. Spoon a litte but not all tomato sauce around the chicken.
- I use 2 baking dishes (11 x 13) although you could lay them diagonally in one baking dish and load on the cheese.
- Bake in oven about 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and cheese melted.
- Serve leftover warm tomato sauce on the side, pasta, a sprinkle of parmesan on top and even fresh basil if you have it.