Pick up a rotisserie chicken or roast your own, some tortillas and make these Chicken Tostadas for dinner tonight.
Have you ever wondered what exactly a Tostada is? Growing up in a small town, I definitely had no clue until I moved to Vancouver and started going to Mexican restaurants. According to our student, in Spanish it means “toasted” – either a toasted tortilla as the base or something toasted on the Tostada.
Authentic tostadas come with re-fried beans. We do not add the beans but typically a whack of healthy toppings with our chicken. Well I add a whack of healthy toppings. My husband adds more chicken than anything. To each their own.
Tostadas are a delicious way to use up leftover roast chicken, turkey, beef, even pulled pork. Simply add all your favourite taco toppings.
When making Tostadas use either flour tortillas or corn tortillas. Both are equally delicious. I always bake them with a little cumin and salt sprinkled on top or taco seasoning. They come out perfectly crispy so no cooking in oil is needed.
I love this meal because it’s quick, and healthy for an activity evening.
- Start with a minimum of 2 tortillas per person
- Pick up a rotisserie chicken, let it cool and shred
- Prepare your favourite taco toppings in advance
- Serve them family style allowing everyone to make their own Tostada
- Prepare two baking sheets with tin foil in advance to crisp your tortillas
- Pam Cooking Spray
- 10 small flour or corn tortillas
- 1 tbsp cumin or taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups roasted chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1 cup taco sauce (mild or hot)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Monterey Jack, or Mexican shredded blend)
- Lettuce, shredded
- Tomatoes, diced
- Scallions, chopped
- Olives, sliced
- Bell Pepper, diced
- Banana or Jalapeno Peppers
- Salsa, guacamole or sour cream
- Cilantro, chopped
- Spanish Onion, chopped
- Cooked Black beans, rinsed
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly spray one side of the tortillas with Pam. Sprinkle on a little cumin or taco seasoning. Turn over and repeat. Place on foil lined baking sheet in one layer. Place in oven and crisp for about 3 minutes, turn over and cook another 3 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside on a plate.
- In large pan over medium heat pour in a little olive oil. Add chicken and taco sauce stirring to combine. Let the flavours mingle for 5 minutes or until heated through
- To serve: top each tortilla with a little chicken and add all your favourite toppings.