Double Chocolate Muffins are moist and luxurious, made with leftover milk chocolate chunks and chips combined with cocoa powder sure to satisfy all your chocolate cravings!
Double Chocolate Muffins
Imagine being able to consume chocolate for breakfast and it’s totally okay since muffins equal breakfast so that means chocolate for breakfast is acceptable! Am I right?
We’ve combined leftover chocolate chunks from Christmas and milk chocolate chips with cocoa powder to create these super moist and delicious muffins!
Searching through a lot of old recipes recently trying to de-clutter the house and came across bunch of hand written scribbles on paper. They turned out to be various recipes, set aside for another time. Since we are not getting any younger, guess now’s the time!
The Muffin Method
In high school home economics class we were taught the muffin method and it’s something I teach my kids today. The muffin method is a mixing method used when your recipe doesn’t have a lot of fat ensuring your muffins remain moist and fluffy. This method also applies to quick breads like cornbread, pancakes, waffles, loaves and some cakes.
This method teaches combining wet ingredients in one bowl and dry in another. You mix the two with very little stirring or strokes to ensure you do not overwork the batter rendering the muffins tough and dense. Since this batter contains leavening agents, you will need to get them in the oven right away.
Here are the ingredients we use in this recipe.
Yogurt: I prefer Greek yogurt, however plan works to
Sugar: We use white sugar
Oil: Canola is our oil of choice however olive oil or vegetable oil will work
Eggs: Let them warm for about 15 minutes on the counter before using
Vanilla: No artificial stuff, only pure vanilla here
Flour: All-purpose flour is what we use in this recipe
Cocoa: Use your favourite brand
Baking Powder and Soda: Make sure it’s fresh
Chocolate: Use chocolate chunks, chocolate chips or a combination. You could even chop up milk chocolate wafers or pure chocolate bars.
Time to get baking! You will find these muffins come together rather quickly.
Looking for more muffin recipes, check these out!
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, or plain
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3-1/2 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- good pinch salt
- 1 cup chocolate chunks, chocolate chips or a combination
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a large bowl mix together yogurt, sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla and milk.
- In a second smaller bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chunks and chips.
- Add the flour mixture to the yogurt mixture and whisk until combined. Do not over mix.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let sit in pan on a baking rack for about 10 minutes. Remove muffins to rack and let continue to cool.
- Store in a sealed container.