As we all know by now the wedge salad went into hiding for awhile before resurfacing. In this installment of our wedge salad series we share a Greek Wedge Salad recipe using all the ingredients you love in a typical Greek Salad.
We’ve shared the history of a wedge salad in our Iceberg Wedge Salad with Bacon post, how to eat a wedge salad in our BLT Wedge Salad post and today let’s talk about dressings and other types of wedge salads you could make.
The Salad Dressing
While not exactly the star of a salad, the salad dressing is a close second. Making your own salad dressing can save time and money once you have invested in all the ingredients you need which could be as simple as extra virgin olive oil, Dijon mustard and a few vinegars.
Store bought dressings are fine, especially these days when you can find dressings that are fairly healthy, however they can still contain extra unwanted sugars, calories and additives you can’t spell so be leary when going the store bought route and read your labels.
If you already have extra virgin olive oil and vinegars try adding some new flavours to your pantry. Walnut or pistachio oil is exceptionally tasty and a little goes a long way. White Balsamic Vinegar or Champagne vinegar changes up your vinegar game. Spanish onion, shallots, garlic and fresh herbs all chopped fine or blended add depth to any home made dressing. Of course you can use buttermilk, mayo, sour cream and Greek Yogurt if you please.
Other Ways to eat your Wedge
We are not referring to a blender wedge salad turned smoothie, but rather more wedge salad ideas to try including the two recipe links above.
- Waldorf Wedge Salad: grapes, apple, celery, toasted walnuts, mayo dressing
- Caesar Wedge Salad: pancetta, croutons, shaved parmesan, Caesar salad dressing
- Cobb Wedge Salad: tomato, bacon, cooked chicken breast, hard boiled egg, avocado, onion, strong cheese like a blue, red wine vinegar dressing
- Italian or Antipasto Wedge Salad: chick peas, beans, salami, tomato, provolone, artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, Italian dressing with herbs
Have you ever tried a wedge salad?! If not, what’s stopping you?!
- 1 piece of wedge from 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 2 tbsp diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sliced cucumbers
- 1 tbsp red onion sliced or diced
- 1 tbsp bell pepper diced
- 1 tbsp kalamata olives
- 1 tbsp feta cheese crumbles
- pinch of oregano
- salt and pepper
- Greek dressing
- Place wedge on a plate.
- Sprinkle on toppings tomato through oregano
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, pinch of dried oregano, 1 tsp lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon dressing over your wedge and serve.