Steamed green beans are mixed with a Dijon mustard and basil vinaigrette becoming Green Beans with Basil Vinaigrette, a delightful and refreshing dish we love to bring to potlucks.
Green Beans with Basil Vinaigrette
My days living in Vancouver are a big part of who I am today as I was introduced to so many new tastes and cultures. I reference those days in many of my recipes in this blog.
This dish was born from a Vancouver experience and a favourite one to serve in the summer using garden fresh green beans and fresh basil. The beans are steamed or blanched, mixed with a pickled shallot Dijon mustard vinaigrette and tossed with fresh basil. In the photo below I tossed in some pink peppercorns!
If you can’t find or don’t love basil, sub in fresh dill, thyme, tarragon or oregano. Fresh is best if you can source it, but if not, you can use dried.
Cooking green beans
I grew up eating green beans fresh from my parents garden, served with sour cream. Looking back it was an interesting way to eat them and if I knew then what I know now, I might have added some fresh herbs and spices to the sour cream, spread it on a platter, placed the green beans on top and serving it like that.
It’s important to use fresh beans and not canned or frozen in this recipe. Make sure you remove the stem and rinse before cooking.
BLANCH: To blanch the beans, salt a pot of boiling water and drop beans in. Cook for at least 5 minutes or until tender crisp when sampling.
STEAM: Steaming beans will take 5-9 minutes depending on your steaming method and size of beans. Bigger will take longer, smaller less time.
Beans are a favourite side dish, here’s a few more:
- Roasted Potatoes with Artichokes and Feta
- Wild Rice, Orzo and Mushroom Casserole
- Roasted Acorn Squash
- Grilled Corn Ribs
- Cucumber Salad
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans or #wandabaker and please comment below!
- 2 tbsp shallot, thinly sliced (approx. 1 large)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 lb green beans
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, sliced thin
- In a small bowl add sliced shallots, and vinegar. Let marinate for at least 1-3 hours. While beans are cooking mix mustard, salt and pepper into shallots while gradually whisking in olive oil.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Or use your steamer according to settings.
- Add the green beans and cook until tender crisp, 5-7 minutes depending on size. Transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Let cool for a couple of minutes, then drain and pat dry. Put on serving platter.
- Pour dressing over beans and toss to coat. Sprinkle on fresh basil and serve.