Beef Keftas, or as I like to call them, meat on a stick or stick food, are a new way to eat a burger. I mean really, you are taking what is seasoned burger and wrapping it around a stick. Kind of brings you back to the cave man days, but really what a concept. If you love meatballs, meatloaf and/or hamburgers you will love it. My family devours them whenever they are on the table.
What exactly is Kefta you ask? Kefta is a Middle Eastern specialty – a spicy ground meat mixture that is formed around a skewer and then grilled. You do not need egg, bread crumbs or any kind of binder to help it stay together. Best of all it’s quick, easy and can be modified using different spices & herbs. Great for a busy evening where you do not have much time to cook.
- 10-12 Bamboo skewers
- 1 - 1.5 lb lean ground beef you can also use ground lamb
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro omit if you don't like
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or regular if you don't have smoked
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- Make sure to soak your bamboo skewers in water at least 30 minutes before using.
- Combine beef with remaining ingredients (cilantro thru ginger). Divide into 10-12 portions. To prepare Kefta, shape each portion around the pointed end of a pre soaked bamboo skewer, forming a sausage shaped log - about 2-3 inches long.
- Grill Kefta on your BBQ or indoor grill pan over medium heat turning occasionally until browned and completely cooked through, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from grill, let rest for a few minutes and then eat it right off the stick, with dips or even put it into a pita (greek style) with your favourite fixins. Leftovers taste great in a wrap.