The year was 2007 when we went on a mission to try and make as many variations of burgers as we could handle without getting “burgered” out. Some got documented, some photographed and some didn’t made the cut. This pizza burger was one from that summer and quickly became a family favourite. Kids love pizza so variations of pizza is a necessity here. Otherwise we are all going to look like a pizza. The boy requests two when we make them, and reminds us when we haven’t had it for awhile.
This recipe is a good one to take camping. We prepare it in advance, freeze and bring it in it’s frozen state. It thaws in the refrigerator or cooler and we grill them up usually the second day camping. You could add in some chopped peppers or mushrooms to change it up a bit. We like to eat it with some fresh basil (instead of lettuce), pizza sauce (instead of ketchup) and sauteed mushrooms.
- 2lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped pepperoni (we buy it sliced from the deli and then chop it)
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1.5 tsp basil, dried
- 1.5 tsp oregano, dried
- 2 tbsp pizza sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices Cheese (provolone or mozzarella)
- 8 buns (your favourite)
- In a large bowl mix together ground beef, pepperoni, basil, oregano, pizza sauce, parmesan cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper until just combined.
- Form 8 burger patties.
- On a pre-heated BBQ, grill your burgers approximately 5 minutes per side over medium high heat.
- Place a slice of cheese on each burger, close lie and allow cheese to melt slightly.
- If you like your buns toasted, now is the time to put your buns on a the grill for about 1 minute or until toasted.
- Remove burgers, please on buns and serve with your favourite pizza toppings and/or condiments.