I first tasted this Toasted Sesame Cream Cheese Spread at a friend’s place about 15 years ago when living in Vancouver. I don’t know where she got the recipe but it was and still is devine. I’ve made a few modifications on quantities and find it best with crispy rice crackers. This spread is always a hit and usually disappears quite quickly.
- 1 block 250gr cream cheese
- 1/2 cup soya sauce your favourite
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- rice crackers
- Pour enough sesame seeds into frying pan to cover bottom. Turn heat onto medium low. Stay next to fry pan, watching sesame seeds...flipping regularly so they don't burn. Toast until lightly browned. Pour into bowl and let cool. Once cool pour into ziplock bag or container with a lid and set aside.
- Take cream cheese out of fridge. Using a skewer poke holes on all sides of cream cheese. Put into plastic container (with lid) and pour soya sauce on top. Turn cream cheese so that every side is covered in soya sauce. Put into fridge and turn every couple of hours (or whenever you remember) to ensure each side gets some time soaking up the soya sauce.
- When ready to serve, pour sesame seeds onto plate. Take cream cheese out of container and roll all sides in sesame seeds, covering completely. Put on plate, surround with rice crackers and serve.