Change up your kids lunches by adding some fun finger food like these Sammy’s On A Stick!
After having looked after little kids including my own for a couple of years, you could say we got really creative with our lunches and snacks!
Lunches have always been fun, interesting and very different then how I grew up. My lunches: typically Bologna sausage on white bread with an apple and orange. Super boring right?
Our Sammy’s On A Stick can use leftover chicken, ham, pork, beef, pepperoni or sausage chunks, or you can use deli meat.
Sometimes I prepare them for the kids and other times I put all the ingredients on the table and let them make their own letting them get completely involved.
Other stick food ideas we’ve tired include:
- Sausage/Pepperoni & Cheese on a stick
- Fruit on a stick (ie fruit salad)
- Veggies (carrot & cucumber) on a stick
- Pre-cooked cheese tortellini on a stick, served with a container marinara dipping sauce
- Muffin chunks or cinnamon bagels/cream cheese with strawberries
- Any kind of bread, cheese buns, croissant, bagel, thicker sliced bread (raisin bread)
- Deli meat or leftover over roast beef, chicken, turkey, ham cut into cubes or folded up
- Hard cheese cut up into cubes, cheese sticks cut up, mini bocconcini balls
- Vegetables: lettuce, grape tomatoes, cucumber cubes, carrot coins, celery slices, pepper wedges
- Fruit, apple works well
- Pickles or olives, just ensure you keep them away from the bread so you do not end up with soggy bread!
- Pick up packages of wooden skewers from the dollar store and cut them to size – smaller for small hands and lunch boxes. You can also cut the tips off the skewer if you are concerned about the safety factor.
- Try to cut each item similar in size
- If it’s going into a lunch or on a picnic, wrap it with Saran wrap to keep it fresh.
The kids LOVE to eat stick food this way and we love that they eat a good variety of items without hesitation.
If you are looking for other fun lunch ideas check out our 22 School Lunches ideas!
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans