It’s cookbook review day and I’m checking out 175 Essential Slow Cooker Classics by Judith Finlayson and her Slow Cooker Carrot Bread. The best smell ever is walking in the door to something cooking in your slow cooker or crockpot.
I’ve been using my slow cooker for over 20 years, and when one dies or burns out (because they all do eventually) it’s a mad dash to replace it with a new version. I’ve made a bread pudding in my slow cooker, but never bread, so when I saw how easy Judith made it sound, I couldn’t wait to try it out. Plus I had some summer garden carrots to use up. Missing pecans, I used toasted slivered almonds instead.
This book is a reissue with a new cover and all new trade paper binding. It’s one of several slow cooker cookbooks from Judith Finlayson, and this book includes 60 new recipes, plus many of her favourites from three of her previous slow cooker cookbooks with both vegetarian and vegan recipes. There are recipes for everyday to elegant entertaining, and so many to choose from including recipes such as Kids’ Favourite Fondue, Leek Risotto, Country Stew with Fennel, and Sumptuous Spinach and Artichoke Dip.
Judith offers up this advice to Maximize Slow Cooker Convenience:
- Use Make ahead instructions to partially prepare a dish up to 2 days prior to cooking.
- Do any additional chopping and slicing the night before you intend to cook to keep work to a minimum when it is less convenient.
- Cook a recipe overnight and refrigerate until ready to serve.
With so many great recipes to try in this book, you could be busy all winter long. We are admittedly on our third recipe from the book with more to go.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded peeled carrots
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds pecans or walnuts
- In a bowl, combine flours, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- In a second bowl, beat together sugars, canola oil, egg and yogurt. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Fold in carrots and nuts.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Cover tightly with foil and secure with a string or elastic band. Place pan in slow cooker stoneware and pour in enough boiling water to come 1 inch up the sides of the dish. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for a bit longer - until a tester inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Unmold and serve warm or let cool.
Courtesy of 175 Essential Slow Cooker Classics by Judith Finlayson, 2015 © www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission.0