I make a couple different versions of chili. When I was single my favourites were Veggie Chili, and a Four Bean Chili. Enter the meat eater I married, and this is now one of our family favourites since it is slow cooked all day in the crockpot allowing the flavours to marry creating the most delicious tasting beef chili. We also make a mean chicken chili.
In this recipe I only add 2 tbsp of chili powder..any more makes it quite spicy, and I want the kids to eat it! Hubs likes to add more chili powder to his bowl after the fact to give it more heat. While I don’t quite understand this method since the spice would be a little raw for my liking, I don’t question bizarre behavior ha ha!
There are many ways we like to enjoy eating our chili keeping it fun for the kids: in a bread bowl, on nachos with melted cheese, in scoops (taco chips), chili dogs, chili on mac & cheese, chili on a pizza (yes it’s good), chili fries, like a sloppy joe on a bun, with corn muffins or better yet Chili Cheese Corn Muffins, in lasagna, and even on perogies. Don’t be afraid to experiment since a little chili goes a long way!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds or cumin
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chili powder or more if you like it spicy
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 5 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 can 19oz red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can 19oz black beans, drained & rinsed
- Over medium-high heat add one tbsp oil to a saucepan. Add beef and cook until nicely browned. Put beef in slow cooker and turn on while you prepare the rest.
- In same pan over medium heat add remaining oil and onions cooking until soft. Stir in garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder, allspice and cocoa powder. Mix in worcestershire sauce, beef broth, tomato paste and tomato sauce stirring well. Bring sauce to a boil scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Take pan off heat and pour over beef in slowcooker. Add your beans and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or until hot & bubbling.
- Once ready bring slowcooker stoneware to table and serve with your favourite toppings.