Many cooler weather or game day meals are ones prepared in the crockpot. Slow Cooker Beef Chili simmers all day, is full of flavour and ready to go when it’s time to eat!
Slow Cooker Beef Chili
I’ve always loved different variations of chili. When I was single (and back in the 90’s), my favourites were Vegetarian Chili, and Four Bean Chili. Meatless and tasty.
When I got married, my carnivore husband preferred my beef chili or any chili with meat. I’ve tweaked it over the years but this recipe is a family favourite. You can make it on the stove in a pot or follow this recipe and make it in the slow cooker.
What’s with the Toppings
I’m not sure when I started putting toppings on my chili but I can’t eat it without them now. My chili has always been flavourful but I wanted and needed more. So I started putting bowls with toppings on the table and never looked back.
Beef Chili Toppings
- Shredded Cheese
- Sliced or pickled peppers like jalapenos
- Diced or sliced red onion or scallions
- Diced bell peppers
- Cubed avocado
- Hot sauce
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced tomatoes
Ways to serve chili
- The obvious way is in a bowl, or a mug. When the kids were little I would scoop out the insides of buns and serve chili in the bun.
- In Tostitos scoops was popular when the kids were little. These little chip bowls were perfect for little hands.
- Use tortilla chips to scoop.
- Naan bread. Because Naan bread.
- In baked potatoes.
- Walking taco bags except walking chili bags. These are super fun when camping.
- Taco salad bowls. Learn how to make these bowls here: Taco Salad Bowls
- Over rice, spaghetti or nachos.
- On top of cornbread or polenta. Because why not.
- On top of french fries, perogies or macaroni and cheese.
- On hot dogs and burgers.
We’ve tried all these methods, do you have any we’ve missed?!
The Ultimate Chili Bar
Here’s another super fun idea that I just love, make a Chili Bar. Since I already do the toppings it’s pretty simple. Have at least three variations of chili available. A whole assortment of toppings. Some different types of breads or buns and at least 3- 5 cheeses to put on top. Chips, corn chips, spicy chips.
Forty plus years of making chili and I’ve got it down to an art.
- Prepare the entire lot the night before, get it all into your slow cooker. The next morning pull out slow cooker and plug in.
- Browning the burger adds flavour.
- All spice or cloves are a key ingredient.
- Sugar or vinegar (my mom used vinegar) helps tone down tomatoes that might taste tinny.
Other Chili Recipes we love:
If you made this recipe tag Wanda Baker on Instagram and hashtag it #bakersbeans and please comment below!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds or cumin
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp chili powder or more if you like it spicy
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp allspice or cloves
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 5 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 can 19oz red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- Over medium-high heat add oil to a saucepan. Add onions and cook about 5 minutes, then garlic for another minute and finally beef. Cook beef until browned. Pour all ingredients into slow cooker and turn on.
- In same saucepan add another drop of oil and cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder, allspice and cocoa powder. Let cook for one minute and stir in worcestershire sauce, beef broth, tomato paste and tomato sauce mixing well. Bring sauce to a boil scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Take pan off heat and pour over beef in slow cooker. Add your beans and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- Scoop into serving bowls or mugs and add your favourite toppings.