A handful of years ago I entered a contest using B.C. Warba Potatoes. I was inspired, I was intrigued and I came up with what I thought was a super cool idea. I called it the Stuffed Mushroom Stuffed Potato. Bet your intrigued now too right?!
We started with our favourite stuffed mushroom recipe, Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms. We steamed the potatoes, cooled them, scooped out the middles as though we were making baked stuffed potatoes, found mushrooms to fit inside, stuffed the mushrooms and baked it all together. Dang it was good.
Fast forward 5 years and we are updating this recipe because smoked Gorgonzola! A few of the changes we made: using The Little Potato Company Potatoes Terrific Trio Potatoes adding colour to the recipe. Smoked Gorgonzola cheese from The Italian Store and their Parmesan mixed with Gouda cheese are a couple of my favourite things this year so I tossed both of them into the mix. And the green onions were replaced with chives. Bam we had another winner. Plus I added a new touch. Read on to find out what I did to jazz it up.
- 10 Little Potato Company potatoes
- 20 brown small mushrooms
- 8oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp smoked gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp Parrano cheese or gouda, shredded
- 3 tbsp pecans, toasted and chopped small
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped + extra for garnish
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- truffle potato chips, crushed small
- Place potatoes in a steamer and steam 40-45 minutes or until soft. Alternatively boil for about 5 minutes. Set aside and let cool. Once cooled slice in half and carefully scoop out the insides of the potato leaving the outsides walls sturdy and intact. Set aside potato pulp.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Clean and remove stems from mushrooms and reserve for another use. Set aside caps.
- In a bowl beat together cream cheese, gorgonzola and parrano cheese, pecans, chives, basil, a pinch of salt and pepper and 3 tbsp potato pulp, until blended.
- Stuff mushroom caps with cheese mixture, mounding slightly. Fit stuffed mushrooms carefully inside cooled potato halves matching sizes as best you can.
- To get mushrooms to stick, add a small dab of the cream cheese filling on the inside bottom of the potato half to help the mushroom stay in place. Place stuffed potatoes on a parchment lined baking pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until cheese bubbles & browns a little. Sprinkle with the crushed potato chips and chives.
- Serve immediately.
What’s your favourite way to use little potatoes?! 0