This Smoked Stuffed Mushroom Stuffed Potato recipe is a spin on a recipe made a handful of years ago when I entered a contest using B.C. Warba Potatoes!
We started with our favourite stuffed mushroom recipe, Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms as the base. Then the potatoes are steamed, cooled and middles scooped out as though we were making baked stuffed potatoes. We selected a variety of different sized mushrooms and picked those that would fit inside the scooped out potato.
One of the change ups I made to the other recipe includes smoked Gorgonzola! Another change, using a bag of colourful potatoes. The Smoked Gorgonzola cheese comes from The Italian Store as does the parrano cheese (parmesan mixed with gouda cheese).
Additional changes include the addition of chives. All the flavours work so well together that this could be a dip on it’s own served with crostini or crackers.
Do you have a favourite Stuffed Mushroom recipe?!
- 10 baby potatoes
- 20 brown small mushrooms
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tbsp smoked gorgonzola cheese crumbled
- 2 tbsp Parrano cheese or gouda shredded
- 3 tbsp pecans toasted and chopped small
- 1 tbsp fresh chives finely chopped + extra for garnish
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- truffle potato chips crushed small
- Place potatoes in a steamer and steam 40-45 minutes or until soft. Alternatively boil for about 5 minutes. Set aside and let cool. Once cooled slice in half and carefully scoop out the insides of the potato leaving the outsides walls sturdy and intact. Set aside potato pulp.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Clean and remove stems from mushrooms and reserve for another use. Set aside caps.
- In a bowl beat together cream cheese, gorgonzola and parrano cheese, pecans, chives, basil, a pinch of salt and pepper and 3 tbsp potato pulp, until blended.
- Stuff mushroom caps with cheese mixture, mounding slightly. Fit stuffed mushrooms carefully inside cooled potato halves matching sizes as best you can.
- To get mushrooms to stick, add a small dab of the cream cheese filling on the inside bottom of the potato half to help the mushroom stay in place. Place stuffed potatoes on a parchment lined baking pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until cheese bubbles & browns a little. Sprinkle with the crushed potato chips and chives.
- Serve immediately.