Easy to make and always a hit around the dinner table, these Taco Salad Bowls are sure to become your new favourite meal!
I have been making these for the kids since they were little. Now they are old enough to help prepare the toppings and actually prepare the dinner! Served family style, everyone can add whatever toppings they enjoy to their bowl.
How do you make the bowls
Small custard baking dishes and a little cooking spray is all you need to shape your bowls. Plus time in the oven and a little extra seasoning!
We use the small flour tortillas and make extras for those who want seconds. They are the perfect size.
- Ensure your wraps are room temperature when wrapping around the custard dish to avoid tears.
- Use for any kind of salad that is not heavily dressed.
- Make bowls in advance so they are ready to go for dinner, or take camping
- Have all toppings prepped and ready to go
- Change this up using ground pork, turkey, chicken or even veggie ground round
Love tacos as much as we do?! Then channel your inner taco ninja and let’s Taco Bout It! Check these recipes out in the mean time!
- 1 lb ground meat
- 2 packages taco seasoning
- 4 small wraps
- cooking spray
- taco fixin's
- custard cups
- Over medium high heat in a sauce pan, add and brown your meat. Follow instructions on taco seasoning package and cook until liquid absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Turn custard cups upside down and place on baking sheet. Give a quick spray on bottom of cups with cooking spray. Take one wrap and carefully mold it to the bottom of the custard cup, centering it and shaping with your hands to form a bowl shape. They might rip if the wraps are cold, so ensure they are room temperature. Don't worry if the wrap doesn't stick or looks funny, as it bakes in the oven it will follow the shape of the cup and firm up.
- Next spray the bottom of the wrap and sprinkle with extra taco seasoning or even just salt and pepper. Bake in oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Open oven and carefully remove wraps from custard cups. Put hot custard cups aside to cool down. Place wraps back on baking sheet right side up and allow to bake for another 2 minutes if still soft in the middle. Watching and checking to ensure they do not burn. Once they have firmed up remove from oven and let cool.
- Once cooled I add in lettuce, a scoop of taco meat and whatever fixins float my boat at the time. We like to put the bowls of toppings on the table and let everyone help themselves.