Third times a charm? Good thing I’ve had 5 workouts in 4 days to make myself feel better about these pizza experiments. This will be the last pizza submission for this week as I am getting pizza’d out. However having said that I have at least 4 more ideas spinning through my head for pizzas based on leftovers.
Leftover taco meat can be used many ways. On a pizza for a quick lunch or supper is a quick meal for a busy family. I love hot peppers and used pickled jalapeno’s in this recipe. I also used regular peppers (orange, yellow & green) both sliced and diced.
Options are endless. What I enjoy on a taco or taco salad is what I put on this pizza. I did not use exact quantities below as some people may prefer more of a topping, others less. You decide.
- 1 whole wheat pita
- ¼-1/2 cup taco meat
- ¼ cup peppers (cut into rings, or diced)
- 1-2 tbsp salsa (or taco sauce)
- 1 tbsp pickled jalapeno peppers (or banana peppers)
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- ½-1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese or monterey jack
- ½ cup sliced lettuce (romaine)
- Spread salsa on your pita with a spoon, knife or pastry brush.
- Next layer on your peppers, tomatoes and taco meat. Finally spread your cheese all over. I admittedly added a light dusting of shredded parmesan on top.
- Broil in oven for about 2-3 minutes or until cheese melted and bubbling. I bake mine on a pizza stone but a cookie sheet or pizza pan works just as well.
- Remove from oven, let sit for a few minutes before slicing. I sprinkled fresh lettuce on top. Outstanding.