I love cookbooks. In fact my mom started buying them for me back in the 80’s. I started watching cooking shows on the PBS in the 70’s and with my mom buying me cookbooks, well it lead to a small cookbook obsession. Which could be worse right? It’s a good thing except when it comes time to move!
Today I’m sharing a Beef Stir-Fried with Asparagus Recipe from a cookbook called Simply Vietnamese Cooking by Nancie McDermott. This cookbook has 135 recipes and they are all straight forward and easy to make. You’ll find speedy stir-fries, vibrant salads, soothing soups and tasty snacks. Even recipes for seafood on the grill and desserts. Ever wanted to learn how to make a Vietnamese Coffee? You will in this book. The photos are colourful and mouth watering, exactly what I like in a food photo. I love how they’ve even included some local photos of Vietnam.
I found several recipes I would make and several similar to what I have made in the past (I make spring rolls all the time). I’m always up for learning new tips & tricks and this book has several of them. It was an activity night when I made this recipe, and only 3 of us home to eat dinner [the girl was out selling cookies]. I was able to marinate the beef for almost an hour so this helped with the flavour. The recipe was easy to follow, simple to execute, and the sidebar tips very informative.
Vietnamese cuisine is delicious, unique, fascinating, healthful, and irresistible. Everyone can cook Vietnamese dishes in their own home and this cookbook will help you get started.
- 4 oz boneless beef like sirloin, sliced thin (partially freezing first helps)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce, divided
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- 8 oz asparagus
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp scallions, thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, combine beef with 1 tbsp of the fish sauce, soy sauce, black pepper and sugar. Toss to mix well and let marinate for up to an hour.
- Trim asparagus, breaking off bottom stalks. Cut green upper portions diagonally into 2 inch lengths. You should have about 2 cups of sliced asparagus. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over high heat for 30 seconds. Add garlic and toss. Scatter beef in pan and cook briefly on one side, then toss once to sear other side. Add asparagus and toss well. Add remaining fish sauce, water and green onion. Cook tossing once or twice, until asparagus is shiny and tender, but not soft, about 1 minute. Transfer to a serving dish and serve with hot rice.
Courtesy of Simply Vietnamese Cooking by Nancie McDermott, 2015 © www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission.