Welcome to my blog! My name is Wanda, named after a German relative, and I currently reside in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, with my husband Rob and our two kids Hailey and Aiden.
We work with Brands, PR Companies, Media, Tourism Companies and more. Please forward inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Cooking should be easy and not complicated right?!
We like to make easy, delicious tasting, and sometimes quick recipes for our busy family. We also like to revisit vintage recipes and test out new ones until perfect.
As someone who has never been able to sit still for long, we road trip regularly and travel when we can. This allows us to share our love of favourite destinations and hidden gems.
Lifestyle and brand features fit naturally with our blog’s vision as we love to create awareness of great products both new and existing.
There was no Food Network growing up in the 70’s and 80’s, but there was PBS [Public Broadcasting Service] and cooking shows on Saturday mornings. This kid would watch them all, then cook with my mom.
When I graduated high school I moved to Vancouver to go to University, and was overwhelmed with the flavours and cuisines that make Vancouver so culturally alive.
Inspired by a few of my childhood recipes, work potlucks, and the plethora of International cuisine’s surrounding me, I’d found my happy place with food long before the explosion of food blogs and recipe websites on the internet and social media.
Later I moved to Calgary and met my husband. Marriage and kids ensued.
In 2008 my 8 month old son was rushed into emergency surgery and came through it healthy and happy. I made the decision to put my career in Marketing Communications, Events and Social Media on hold and became a work at home mom so I could keep an eye on him.
Blogging started in 2006 as a hobby and way to continue my creative cooking process while looking after kids. I had so much to say I ended up with two blogs to start. We would blog about life, travel and recipes. The popularity of the recipes lead to a third blog, Bakersbeans, where we blog about food and life with a little travel thrown in to showcase our adventures.
I’ve always had adventure in my blood. As a child we would road trip to Regina to see family (can I hear a woot woot) or visit my Uncle in San Diego. As I got older and moved away travel became a part of my life both for business and pleasure.
You could say traveling is in my blood.
I’ve been to Mexico (solo and with the family), Texas, New Orleans, New York, Hawaii, San Fransisco + San Diego + Las Vegas and Disneyland. Created more memories in California, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, Seattle, Paris, England, Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Cuba. Canadian travel includes Toronto, Niagara Falls, all four Western provinces North through South including Ucluelet & Tofino and Haida Gwaii (when it was called the Queen Charlotte Islands).
We took a family trip to Indonesia in 2018 to experience the food, culture, history and a new part of the world. Read more about our Bakers in Bali and Indonesia adventure: Bakers in Indonesia.
I hope you browse my collection of tried and true favourite recipes as this blog represents a legacy of family recipes that will be passed on to my two favourite little people. Plus our adventures, travel tips and every day life!
In a world of bloggers and writers I am proud to disclose the content and recipes on Bakersbeans are entirely mine, created by me (unless otherwise credited), written by me and photographed by me. I have never, nor will I, purchase content from anyone.
You can contact me through the contact form or email me email@example.com.
The YYC Pizza Week Baker Award
Get This Food Columnist with Calgary’s City Palate published 6 times a year. City Palate folded in September 2019.
Associate Editor and Shop Local Food Columnist with Savour Calgary, Calgary’s newest print food magazine.
Calgary Herald’s Food Top Blogger’s Directory
Food Bloggers of Canada Member
Alberta Food Connections Facebook Group
Food Bloggers of Canada Calgary Chapter Facebook Group
Food Bloggers of Canada Featured Foodie
- Summer in the City Feature: Tacos Calientes | July + August 2019
- 7 Unique Must-Try Eateries | November + December 2017
- Great Places to Eat Well & Spend Less in Canmore & Banff | January + February 2017
- Food Trends Winter 2016-2017 Ugly Black Sea Greens Filipino Monster Grain Milkshakes Invade Your Grocery Store!
- Dining To Go | Hot Food Apps – Summer 2017
- Southern Style Barbecue Heats Up in Calgary | Winter 2017-2018
- Cool Treats, Sweet Eats | Summer 2018
- From Farmer’s Markets to Food Halls | Summer 2019
CMA (formerly) Hawkair Inflight Magazine Northern Routes [2014-2016]. All editions currently being moved to new website and server. Hawkair has folded.
- Fall-Winter 2014 Inflight Magazine: The Calgary Food Blogging Scene
- Salads and Salmon, Summer 2015
- Fall Recipes | Turkey Bacon Corn Chowder & Pumpkin Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies, Fall 2015
- Pizza Burgers: Spring 2016
- Three Ways with Tomatoes, Fall/Winter 2016
Amber Approved Magazine 2015-2016. Stories include:
- March/April 2015: Mason Jar Lentil Brussels Sprouts Salad with Tuna & Pepitas
- July/Aug 2016: Summer Fresh Salads
- Sept/October 2015: Leftover Turkey Quinoa Salad
- March/April 2016: Roasted Poblano Turkey Chili
- July/August 2016: Watermelon Berry Popsicle’s
Gastropost | National Post Ambassador & Reporter
- Christmas in November in Jasper 2015 & 2016
- Link to stories Gastropost at Christmas in November
Catelli Reinvent Gluten Free Lasagne Challenge | 2015, 1 of 3 first place winners chosen by Kathy Smart [Vegetable Lasagna]
- “I made two pans it was so good! Great complexity of flavours and the added smoked gouda cheese and fresh oregano put it over the top!” – Kathy Smart
Westons Grill Up Summer Contest 2013, Period 2, 2nd prize winner for The Blue Cheese, Pear and Dark Ale Caramelized Onion Burger
BCfresh New Nugget Potato Challenge Runner Up 2013 for Stuffed Mushroom Stuffed Potato recipe
Have appeared on various Calgary Radio Stations, Global TV, the Weather Network, Shaw TV talking food, my blog and the charity events I put on annually.
Find me on social media here: