We’ve combined two favourites, cacio e pepe and potatoes to create these Cacio e Pepe Potato Stacks perfect for your next gathering or holiday meal!
We slow roasted an entire bulb of garlic, mixed it into butter melted with extra virgin olive oil, lots of fresh cracked black pepper and fresh thyme.
We layer thinly sliced potatoes picked up from Sunterra Market here in Calgary, in muffin tins. They are brushed with a melted butter mixture and a light dusting of Pecorino Romano cheese in between the layers.
What is Cacio e Pepe
Cacio e Pepe means cheese and pepper and is a very popular Italian pasta dish. Traditionally made it consists of fresh grated pecorino romano cheese, fresh black pepper and spaghetti. It’s a simple, no fuss kind of pasta dish offering loads of flavour.
To learn more about Cacio e Pepe the pasta read what The Kitchn has to say.
For this recipe we keep the potatoes simple with just a light sprinkling of cheese in-between the layers. Pecorino Romano is a hard, salty Italian cheese made with sheep’s milk that can flavour your dish, but also make it quite salty.
These potatoes are related to Potatoes Anna, a classic French dish of sliced, layered potatoes and butter.
We did a few trial runs of these potato stacks not knowing if they would turn out and they turned out awesome each time. Serve family style on a platter or individually on each persons plate.
Make them for your next dinner party, Sunday supper or wow your guests by preparing these elegant potato stacks at your next holiday meal.
- Yellow Potatoes are starchy and our potato of choice for potato stacks.
- Look for smaller, oval potatoes. They will need to fit your food processor and muffin tins.
- Best to use a food processor to slice them thin, or a mandolin.
- Roast your garlic a couple hours in advance or the day before.
- Your potato slices do not need to be the same size. We use all shapes and sizes ensuring they fit the muffin cup circle.
Looking for more potato inspiration?! Check out these popular recipes!
- Smoked Stuffed Mushroom Stuffed Potato
- Lemon Roasted Potatoes with Parsley Pistou
- Roast Potatoes with Artichokes and Feta