A popular potluck item for decades, Broken Glass is an easy, pretty and show stopping jello dessert to make for your guests or with your kids. Fun for potluck gatherings, class activities or at home snacks, you can colour code it to a birthday party theme, bridal showers, picnics, or any kind of holiday celebration. Simply pick your favourite jello colours and follow the instructions.
One of my closest friends mom’s made it once for our little girls 2nd birthday party. She made it rainbow coloured and it was such a special treat for us I had to recreate what she did and make it for Valentine’s Day.
Plan in advance of your event as you will need two days to let the jello set up. I have little cookie cutters that I like to use to cut smaller shapes. With the mini heart shaped cutter in hand, instead of cutting cubes I carefully cut out some jello hearts. When adding to the casserole dish they went in just before the milk and were selectively placed. To ensure I had an equal mix of red to white I used only 2 small boxes of jello. You could use more however I like the white to show through.
The instructions are fairly straight forward but do message me if you have any questions! And do pick up some heart shaped cutters if you can find them.
- 2 small boxes of red jello (cherry, raspberry, strawberry)
- 2 enveloped unflavoured gelatin
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- Supplies: 9x11 casserole dish
- Plastic storage containers that are longer vs high
- Small heart shaped cookie cutter for heart shapes
- Dissolve each box of jello into separate plastic container using only 1 cup of boiling water. Mix well to ensure combined. Chill overnight or at least 24 hours to set.
- The next day in a bowl add your gelatin and pour two cups of boiling water over top to bloom the gelatin. Stir well.
- Let cool a little and stir in sweetened condensed milk until cool to touch.
- Cut the jello into small cubes (they do not need to be the same size but close) or use a heart shaped cookie cutter to get some shapes. Add to 9x11 casserole dish. Pour cooled milk mixture over jello, cover with plastic wrap and chill over night.
- Using a flat thin small knife or spatula, carefully cut around the side of the casserole dish to loosen sides. Slide along bottom and remove pieces carefully.