Move over avocado toast, Mushroom Toast has arrived!
I’ve been noticing on restaurant menus this past year several varieties of toast offerings. But let’s be honest…these really are a spin on an open faced sandwich, are they not?!
Long gone is avocado toast yet in it’s place is an assortment of toasts with all kinds of flavour combinations. Some that have stood out include bacon and eggs, berries on peanut butter, turkey, beets and goat cheese, lox, hummus, and bruschetta.
What Mushrooms do you use?
We used a variety of mushrooms for this toast. Sliced white mushrooms, crimini, oyster, shiitake and the first time ever using white shimeji mushrooms. Depending on how many you are cooking for – you do not need a whole lot to make this dish.
The shimeji mushrooms were sauteed separately as they cook faster than the bigger ones. They are delicious! If you can’t find some of these mushrooms in your local grocery store, stick with what you can find!
Want to know more about mushroom varieties? Check out this post: 14 types of Mushrooms.
Crispy Kale Chips
These come from a food trend that went around years ago. You either like them or you don’t. They can offer a mild seaweed type taste. While everyone was making kale chips I started making Spinach Chips!
Either would do in this recipe as I like that little light crunch and umami taste they offer. Or omit them all together!
Here are some other ideas to make your mushroom toasts! Or if you love them so much have them weekly and change it up every week.
- Fresh chopped parsley, chives or fresh dill in place of thyme. Toss with mushrooms in pan just before pouring into bowl.
- Try goat cheese, flavoured cream cheese, or labne instead of brie.
- Before mushrooms spread on some hummus or mashed beans.
- Add a little garlic to your mushrooms while sauteing.
- Top these toasts with a fried or poached egg.
- Make toasts for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
What are your favourite way to enjoy mushrooms?!