Following a recent and fun evening cooking with Chef Lynn Crawford and Catelli Pasta, I was asked to participate in a Catelli Gluten Free Pastabilities Challenge. I love challenges and especially challenging myself. In celebration of Celiac Awareness Month in May, Catelli asked bloggers to develop an original gluten free pasta recipe using one of four Catelli Gluten Free Pastas – penne, fusilli, macaroni or spaghetti. Did you know Catelli Gluten free pasta won a 2015 Best New Product Award as voted by consumers?!
I’m always looking to incorporate new items and foods into my family’s diet giving us a broader range of items to choose from. Having made several gluten free meals in the past, I was very excited to create something new & flavourful everyone would love. I started brain storming ideas for pasta creations knowing every item I used had to be gluten free. I scribbled out ideas like pulled pork, korean meatballs and ramen pasta. After researching the ingredients (I was leaning towards a ramen pasta) I stalled on pork belly. Pork Belly…what a delicious ingredient to use in a pasta dish. So I built my pasta dish around pork belly.
The next two ingredients were easy. I’ve been on a brussels sprouts kick since last Fall and wanting to make a brussels sprouts pasta. As well as in love with crispy lentils..I put them on many of my dishes. So I decided on a Pork Belly, Brussels Sprouts and Crispy Lentil Gluten Free Spaghetti. Crisp your lentils in advance and keep them in the fridge until ready to use.
I’ve tested this recipe three times and each time it’s come out tasty and the family has enjoyed it. What I did learn about cooking gluten free pasta is it’s best removed from the boiling water at about 5-6 minutes allowing it to soak up some of the pasta sauce and not get to gummy. Third times a charm!
Here is some great information about Catelli Gluten Free Pasta.
- Made from a unique four-grain blend of white rice, brown rice, corn and quinoa.
- Available in Spaghetti, Fusilli, Penne and Macaroni (photo attached).
- Delicious taste, smooth texture.
- Voted the Best New Gluten Free Pasta by Consumers.*
- Rated extremely high** by consumers in blind taste tests for taste, texture, colour and appearance.
- Produced in a dedicated gluten free facility.
- Certified by the Canadian Celiac Association’s Gluten-Free Certification Program.
- Made with ingredients that are declared GMO free: white rice flour, brown rice flour, corn flour, quinoa flour, monoglycerides (from vegetable/palm oil).
- 310 calories, 2 grams of fat per serving (85 g) of pasta.
- Low in sodium (0 mg), source of fibre (3 g) per serving (85 g) of pasta.
- Cholesterol and preservative free.
- Easy to digest, with the great taste and texture of regular pasta.
- Available at all major retailers across Canada, in the pasta aisle.