One of my favourite things to eat (of many) is well spring rolls. The kids and I enjoy making the fresh salad type rolls but my secret love is for fried spring rolls. Sometimes I visit a local Vietnamese restaurant during lunch and pick up an order of spring rolls all to myself. And eat them in the truck lol. It’s that mom time alone where I don’t have to share with anyone. Even in the truck. I’ll take it.
I’ve made them before, but it’s been awhile. My son has recently started liking them as much as I do, so when we order Vietnamese food we end up fighting over the spring rolls. Note above alone time.
With a blend and extend challenge upon us thanks to Mushrooms Canada, I’ve been trying to think outside of the box to create a blended appetizer. Spring Rolls came to mind and the flavourings I use in the Thai Salad with Jalapeno & Mint I make. I took inspiration from this recipe and went for it. My son loved them so much he must have eaten four within minutes.
Made from ground beef and minced mushrooms, plus a few veggies for good measure, these spring rolls contain minced mushrooms and ground beef. This is how you add another serving of vegetables to the plate.
Here’s the method.
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- ¾ cup minced mushrooms
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup napa cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 package of spring roll wrappers (20)
- 1 egg, whipped up in a bowl
- 1 wok
- canola oil
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the soy sauce, fish sauce and cornstarch. Add in the ground beef and mix well. Set aside to marinate while you prepare and slice your other ingredients.
- Thinly slice your napa cabbage, leafy parts only. Peel and grate your carrots. Let carrots sit on a paper towel to absorb some of the moisture. Slice onions.
- Heat 2 tsp of sesame oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add your ground beef and cook until beef starts to get a nice golden brown. Sprinkle on sugar, add garlic, ginger and mushrooms. Continue to cook another couple of minutes until flavours well combined. Remove from heat and onto plate and let cool.
- In second pan add 1 tsp of sesame oil. Toss in cabbage, carrots and onions. Cook approximately 3 minutes until vegetables soft. Remove from heat and set aside in pan to cool.
- Once meat and veggies are cool mix together. Mix in cilantro. Set aside.
- Place spring roll wrapper in a diamond shape with a corner facing you. Place 2 tablespoons of filling near corner - that will be plenty. Fold over corner and roll tight.
- Fold over right and left side trying not to allow any pockets. Keep it tight and roll until it looks like an envelope then stop. With your finger rub a little egg wash along the out edge of the wrapper as though you were licking an envelop. Continue rolling and ensure sealed. Set aside and keep under plastic wrap.
- Carry on until all rolled. Do not stack. Keep all under plastic wrap until ready to cook.
- When you’re ready to fry, heat up 1½″ of canola oil to 350F. I like to use my wok.
- Carefully drop spring rolls in frying 4-5 at a time and turning constantly for even browning.
- Once they are golden brown place on a rack to cool down and drain.
- Serve with Thai Chili Sauce or your favourite dipping sauce.