I have a confession, I am a meal planner. Some weeks more than others, but I can not get through a week not knowing what we will eat on any given night during the school week. Because we are busy.
When I have events or commitments I ensure husband knows exactly what’s for dinner so it’s easy to pull it together. A little bit of pre-planning really goes a long way when you have evening commitments!
What does a planned meal look like?! Here’s a sample of one week in our house.
- Monday nights my son going from swimming lessons to Boy Scouts – sandwiches, fresh fruit and veggies.
- Tuesday nights my daughter has swim lessons so we eat after her lessons. This dinner will be a quick and easy like chili, something in the slow-cooker, stir fry or grilled sausage, potatoes, peppers and onions.
- Wednesday Night my daughter volunteers and then has Pathfinders. My son has swimming. This leaves us a 45 minute window to eat together. Leftover sausage, pepper and onion becomes Sausage and Pepper Pasta, another quick meal.
- Thursdays it’s volleyball games after school so a later dinner again and here we will use any leftovers up from the week or pick up a roast chicken from the store.
- Friday rolls around and sometimes there are plans, other times not, so we tend to order in or make pizza.
This kind of creative thinking helps ensure I get some good eats into the family while life is busy.
If you’ve checked out some of my other recipes you will see we are Spolumbo’s sausage fans. They are a local company making sausages that are preservative free, with no fillers, additives and are gluten-free. They have several varieties to choose from and are simply delicious – that’s why they go into almost everything I make!
When life gets busy at your house, how do you get through the week and meal time?!