With so many varieties of banana bread out there, it’s nice to shake things up once in awhile. This Coconut Banana Bread never lasts longer than a day in our family. The addition of coconut and orange zest is not over powering, yet adds a nice subtle flavour boost.
My kids are always asking for banana bread or muffins, but we never seem to have leftover, “ripe” bananas. I finally started buying two stacks of bananas at the grocery stores allowing some of the bananas to become ripe. And baking to be done!
Serve this Coconut Banana Bread with butter, cream cheese or a drizzle of honey. A perfect anytime snack.
Makes 1 loaf.
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ tsp orange zest
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp coconut
- pinch of salt
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl mix together flour, baking soda and a pinch of salt.
- In a second bowl whip the butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add orange zest. Drop in eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Mix in bananas.
- Add flour mixture and coconut, stirring to combine.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp of coconut.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.