A quick and easy dinner for Halloween before the kids head out trick or treating is Bats and Cobwebs. My kids are always almost to excited to eat, but we still try to get some good solid food into them before they attempt to fill up on candy and chocolate later on.
The bats are the pasta (bow ties), and the cobwebs the stringy mozzarella. We pick up some Spolumbo’s sausage, and grill it up to add it in which makes things quicker. If you are rushed and do not have a lot of time, serve this dish without baking but mixing and moshing it all together in a bowl. If you have time throw it in the oven with some grated cheese on top. Either way is equally tasty.
- 1/3-1/2 a box 700g bowtie pasta (the bats)
- 1 jar of your favourite tomato sauce or homemade
- 2 precooked sausages sliced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese the cobwebs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Hot pepper flakes optional
- Over medium high heat bring a pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile have your tomato sauce simmering in a second pot over medium low heat. Simmer approx. 10-15 minutes.
- Add sliced sausage, cooking for 5 minutes to blend flavours. Remove from heat and mix in pasta, and half the mozzarella.
- At this point you can either add the rest of the mozzarella, pour into a serving dish and serve as is with the parmesan sprinkled on top.
- OR in a preheated oven (400F) pour mixture into a sprayed (Pam) baking dish, and top with remaining mozzarella & parmesan baking until bubbly and top is lightly browned. (10-15 minutes)