Fresh made pasta sounds so dreamy to me. As much as I’d love to have the time to whip up some fresh pasta, time is not a friend of mine with a busy family. We have 2 kids going in different directions all the time, an International student and my own activities. This recipe for pasta with butternut squash and fresh rosemary is delicious, simple, and easy to make during the busy work week.
With Fall being one of my favourite seasons, I look forward to the harvest vegetables like squash being ready available in all shapes and sizes. Butternut squash is one of those vegetables that plays nice with many other flavours and pairs exceptionally well with fresh rosemary and brown butter.
Use good quality olive oil whenever you can and the freshest rosemary you can find. You can prepare the squash the night before, just reheat a little before adding to pasta.
Garnish with some red pepper flakes if you like and have on hand for a touch of zing, toasted pine nuts, and a bit of shredded Parmesan cheese.
- 2 cups of Butternut Squash chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- salt & pepper
- 1 box linguine noodles or 6 bunches of tagliatelle noodles
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese + extra to sprinkle
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl mix the squash, onion, olive oil and chopped rosemary; season with salt & pepper. Add to baking dish and roast until the squash is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add your pasta and cook until al dente, reserving one cup of pasta water. Drain and transfer to your serving dish.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring until golden (approx. 6 minutes) Stir in lemon juice.
- In the serving bowl with pasta, add the roasted squash, brown butter and parmesan, mix well. Pour in about 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water to loosen everything up a bit. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with another sprinkle of parmesan and the toasted pine nuts.