Baked carrots, with a cheddar cheese sauce, and topped with crispy cornflakes becomes the perfect side to your holiday meal. Back in the day we celebrated meals with some form of cauliflower and broccoli baked with a cheddar cheese sauce. So this is a spin on one of those retro dishes. I keep the cheese sauce simple, and the carrots crunchy which makes it simply delicious.
- 3/4 cup Corn flakes crunch them in a ziplock
- 3 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2.5 cups sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pam or olive oil
- Preheat Oven to 350F.
- Combine crushed corn flakes and all the melted butter in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a pot over medium-high heat bring water to a boil. Add in your onions, carrots, salt and pepper. Turn down to a low simmer and parboil ingredients until tender. Strain if necessary.
- In another pot melt 1 tbsp of butter over med-high heat. Add your flour stirring for 1 - 2 minutes. Slowly pour in your milk until all combined. Let mixture thicken. Whisk in cheese a handful at a time.
- Oil or butter your casserole dish. Add carrot mixture and stir in your cheese sauce. Top with crushed corn flake/butter and bake for 20-25 minutes. Take out of oven and allow to cool a few minutes before serving.