Flatbreads are traditionally unleavened bread, which is made without yeast. Flour, water, and salt are the main ingredients and popular flatbreads are naan and pita. We like to use store bought pre-made pizza shells or fresh pizza dough we pick up at the local Italian Store. Or if you have a favourite pizza dough recipe, make it and use that for your flatbread.
Flatbreads can be used as sandwiches, to scoop up stews or curries or add some toppings and serve with dinner.
- 1 baked pizza shell pita, naan bread or any flatbread you can find or fresh pizza dough
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 old cheddar white cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 tbsp cup coarsely ground pepper
- Brush top of pizza shell with oil (use more or less as required).
- Combine cheese and basil; sprinkle over pizza shell. Sprinkle with pepper (use less if serving to kids as it makes it spicy). Place pizza shell on a greased pizza pan or directly on grill. Bake, with lid down, over low heat on natural gas BBQ for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Slice and serve. Can also be baked in oven (350F) until cheese is melted.
- If using fresh pizza dough roll or stretch out to shape flatbread (perfection not required). Drizzle olive oil on one side and place olive oil side down on medium-high grill. Close the lid and cook until the bottom of crust is golden brown, for 2 to 3 minutes. Brush olive oil on the top side of the flatbread and flip over closing lid to cook 2-3 minutes. Move to other side of bbq and allow to cook inside over indirect heat.
Use your favourite cheese when making this Cheesy Basil Flatbread or use the old white cheddar as recommended. This cheese or any smoked cheese adds a little bite and flavour boost. It’s perfect for lunch or dinner served with a side salad.
Change it up by adding roasted garlic, olives, sun dried tomatoes, salami, artichoke hearts or any of your lighter favourite toppings.