I started making this Cherry Walnut Shortbread Cookie recipe a couple years ago when my Mother-In-Law came for Christmas. She really liked the shortbread recipes I made and I was thrilled. For our first every Mom’s Who Need Wine Cookie Exchange I made a trio of shortbread and this was one of them. I swear it gets tasty and easier to make every year!
Shortbread is Christmas and it’s a favourite here.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups candied red & green cherries halved/quartered
- 3/4 cup walnut pieces
- In bowl beat butter with icing sugar until fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla beating to combine. Next dump in your flour & salt stirring until everyone is happy. Finally add in your cherries & walnuts. Divide your dough into thirds and shape each section into a 10 inch long log. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm – at least 3 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- With a sharp knife cut logs into 1/8 inch thick rounds. This is really thin and mine end up between 1/8 & 1/4 inch thick…it still works fine. Place on prepared baking sheets (covered with parchment paper), approx. 1 inch apart. Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven, rotating and switching pans halfway through just until edges begin to colour.
- Watch them carefully – every oven is different!