I first posted this Chicken & Mushroom Pasta recipe in 2006. Since it had been awhile, it was time to go back through my older recipes to update them! During this process I’ve found several recipes we loved and have not made in quite sometime, and a few needing some tweaking.
This is a fun, cozy, Fall type dish. Use any type of pasta you like…for us the girl enjoys bow tie pasta as she thinks they’re butterflies. The sauce in this dish is more like a gravy which is a nice surprise. You can change up your spices to whatever you feel like. Tonight I used garlic powder, coriander seeds, a seafood seasoning mix and old bay. It was fabulous. Feel free to substitu
- 3 chicken breasts boneless/skinless and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 small shallots diced
- 10-12 brown or white mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp spices use your favourite, Mrs. Dash, lemon pepper, poultry seasoning, a BBQ blend - experiment!
- 1 can mushroom soup msg free
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups baby carrots or carrots peeled and chopped into small pieces
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 375 g box Bow Tie Pasta
- Parmesan cheese grated
- Put some olive oil in a sauce pan and heat over med-high. Season chicken with salt & pepper and add to pan. Cook until nicely browned. You may need to saute in batches. Remove and set aside.
- Add a little more oil if needed and your butter. Toss in your shallots. Saute for 1-2 minutes then add your mushrooms. Stir well and cook an additional 2-4 minutes. Sprinkle in your flour and spices mixing well.
- Once your mushrooms are starting to brown stir in your chicken stock. Mix well. Add in your mushroom soup whisking until smooth. Whisk in orange juice, white wine (if using) and carrots, simmering until carrots are tender.
- Cook your pasta in salted water until al dente. Put aside 1/2 cup hot cooking liquid. Drain and put into serving dish.
- Pour sauce and half of reserved cooking liquid on pasta and toss to combine. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- If you want to loosen sauce a little more add the rest of the cooking liquid.
- Pour yourself a glass of vino and enjoy.