With Cinco De Mayo upon us it’s the perfect time to enjoy some Chicken & Bacon Taquitos. Bacon just makes everything taste a little bit better. It’s been a very long time since I’ve had Taquitos and when I did they were frozen & out of a box.
I’ve seen them in stores and been intrigued but we try to cook fresh if we can although with busy lives it’s not always easy. Something caught my eye recently about Taquitos and so I decided I wanted to try to make them. My kids love wraps and by baking instead of frying I found a way to make them healthy and tasty at the same time using flavours that appealed to me. Pretty much a wrap baked in the oven has become our new go to recipe for busy nights.
Using leftover roast chicken I decided to do a small test run one day for lunch. This is why there are only 3 in the photo. I made 4, but my boy had one while I was taking the photo…then another and a third. I did get to try the 4th. Since then I have made a bigger batch for dinner and they were devoured. You may want to double this recipe of you have a hungry family.
- ½ onion chopped
- ½ cup bacon chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups shredded leftover over roast chicken
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- Olive oil
- 1-2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- Salt & pepper
- 1-2 tbsp greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup Monterrey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped
- Whole wheat flour tortillas 8 inch (small)
- Cooking spray pam
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray 9x11 or 9x13 baking dish with oil. Set aside.
- Add bacon to heated pan and cook about 2-5 minutes. Add onions to pan and continue cooking. Stir in your garlic and cook until bacon browned and onions soft.
- Add a splash of olive oil and toss in chicken, chili powder, cumin, worcestershire sauce and a pinch of salt & pepper. Stir to combine and allow to cook until chicken is warmed through and you can smell spices (about 5 minutes). Stir in your sour cream. Add lime juice & 1-2 tbsp cilantro. Stir, taste and add another sprinkle of salt & pepper if needed.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of cheese. Warm tortillas in microwave 5-10 seconds.
- Starting with approx. 1/3 cup chicken (or a little more if necessary) over half tortilla. Roll tightly to form the taquito starting at the filled side of the tortilla. Place seamed side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas until chicken filling is used. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. This should make 6-8 taquitos.