We had an International German student living with us for almost a year. She had a few food allergies and one of them was carrots. So I got used to cooking without carrots. Although the allergy was mainly to raw carrots, I just stopped using them so as to not “forget”. With my coleslaw’s I always experiment. Sometimes I’d add apple or pear, other times it’s nuts or seeds. But the basics of my coleslaw are always the same; cabbage, onions, cilantro with a mayo/sour cream/vinegar dressing.
As I was making the dressing to go with our Beef on a Bun, I asked my father in laws girlfriend/partner what she thought about me adding molasses into my dressing. She wasn’t sure at first so I pulled a little out & mixed in some molasses. Let her try it to get her opinion and Bam she liked it. I know some people add sugar to their dressings, so the molasses could add the sweet factor. And since I’m more of a salty person to begin with I needed feedback and second opinions. It was well received that evening by everyone. And so the Crispy Molasses Coleslaw recipe was born.
This recipe feeds a crowd so if you are cooking for a smaller family you may want to half it. And yes I put cilantro in my slaw. You can always replace it with flat leaf parsley.
- 1 small-med size head napa cabbage shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage sliced thin or shredded
- 4 green onions sliced thin
- 1 cup of cilantro rough chop
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups dressing
- 1-2 tsp black sesame seeds
- Mix first four ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add dressing stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds before serving.