I love curry and have since my Vancouver days. So far I am the only one in the family that loves curry. Even so it’s not unusual to find a jar of curry paste in the fridge kept solely for my pleasure.
Wanting to use up some leftover roasted chicken one day I scoured the fridge for ideas. Curry paste, mayo, yogurt, green onions…a recipe was being born. My kid loves green apple so we always have those on hand. I was tossed whether to use shallots or green onions but went with the green onions this time. I was also going to add in some mango chutney to the sandwich until I noticed the jar of mango chutney in the fridge had grown legs. So no mango chutney this time.
The curry dressing for the chicken is almost better when made at least an hour in the refrigerator earlier if possible to let the flavours sit and get happy. If you do not have time to let the dressing sit, the flavour will still be delicious.
This is a great way to use up leftover roast chicken for a quick meal on a busy night. Or even if you do not feel like cooking much. If you don’t have any leftover chicken start with a raw chicken breast and poach it in some water/broth simmering until cooked through. Let cool, chop and you have your chicken for this recipe.
Adjust the curry as you go adding more or less. Omit cilantro if you do not like and replace with parsley. I made this sammy with bread since that is all I had on hand. Next time a yummy baguette or ciabatta will be my bread of choice. A wrap or in a lettuce leaf would be equally divine.
- 1 cup chicken cooked (roasted or poached), chopped
- 1/2 cup grapes sliced in half
- 1/2 cup green apples chopped small
- 2 green onions sliced,
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tsp curry paste
- 1/2 lime juice fresh squeezed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bread buns, baguette
- In a bowl add chicken, grapes, apple, green onions and cilantro. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl add your mayonnaise, greek yogurt, curry paste, lime juice and a pinch of salt & pepper. Whisk until well combined. Add more curry paste if you like it spicy.
- Add your mayo/yogurt mixture to your chicken mixture mixing well. Taste for seasoning and adjust if you feel more salt/pepper is required.
- In your bread of choice add your curry chicken mixture.