I am apparently a Mars Bars Squares Virgin. Who knew these delicious treats existed. I learned about them last summer on our way out of town on a camping trip. It always seems to take us soooo long to pack up no matter how many lists, and how efficient I am at getting things ready in advance. We can’t win. So by the time we get out of town we are exhausted by over excited kids and packing up…hence ready for a drink. But we are driving and have to wait for a beverage. So on this particular outing, we opted for coffee instead.
I checked out the GPS and there was surprisingly one on the way to our camping destination. So we stopped at at little place called Latte Da for our cuppa joe and were thrilled to find sweet treats available to. The folks in this little cafe were very friendly and when we walked in, they just so happen to be bringing out this huge platter of, well Mars Bars Squares. Intrigued, we bought a couple and devoured them before we left the cafe. Spectacular. A delicious tasting bite. I asked how they were made and Laurie, the owner, graciously shared her recipe with me.
I went on to make these a couple times over the summer and then while thinking about my Christmas Holiday Baking Round up, the thought came to me to make them again…but with a little candy cane twist.
- 4-5 regular sized mars bars I used 4 little mars bars to replace one big
- 1/3 cup butter + 1/4 cup for top
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips for top
- 3.5 cups rice krispy cereal holiday edition
- 1/4 cup crushed red & green smarties
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
- Melt mars bars and 1/3 cup butter in large pot over low heat. This will take a few minutes of stirring and watching as you don't want the mixture to burn.
- Once melted pour in your cereal. Mix well until all combined.
- Pour into a 9 x 9 square baking dish.
- In a microwaveable bowl add remaining butter and milk chocolate chips. Melt on low stirring every 10 seconds until melted.
- Pour melted chocolate over top of rice krispy mixture.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy canes and smarties. Let chocolate harden in refrigerator before serving.