We are definitely not fair weather BBQ people. How can you be living in Canada where winter comes 6 months a year! Hubs and I both grew up in small Northern Canadian Towns, and as such you learn early that most winter weather is acceptable to BBQ, unless it’s blizzarding and/or below -10. At this point it becomes challenging to manage the heat as the BBQ starts to get grumpy.
The night I created these burgers we were drinking a ginger beer. I decided to pour some into the burger mixture along with some fresh ginger. I tossed a few other things in from the fridge and a ginger burger was born. We devoured these burgers that evening and to quickly to document or photograph.
Enter round two of ginger beef burger. Started with the same base by adding ginger beer and fresh ginger to the burger, but went a different route and tossed in a few other items I had sitting around. The flavour was even better. I’m sure if I aimed for a round three the burger would be outstanding, but I’m going to stop here because it was pretty darn good and sometimes you just need to quit while you are ahead.
Because I am having a love affair with caramelized onions, I had to top my burger with a slice of cheese, little mayo, some lettuce, my Caramelized Onion with Ginger mixture and some Quick Pickle Cucumbers. I found keeping the condiments simple, allows the subtle flavour of the burger to shine.
And yes in case you are wondering the bun in my burger photo is upside down. Why be ordinary? I wanted to shake it up a bit and help stop the burger from sliding. Don’t laugh, it worked!
- 1.5 lbs beef burger
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated/minced
- 1/3 cup ginger beer
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp green onion sliced
- salt and pepper
- burger buns
- your favourite condiments
- cheese slices
- Combine burger through green onion in a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper and mix lightly.
- Form your burgers. You should get about six good size burgers.
- Grill over medium heat until completely cooked through.
- If you like, toast your buns, cut side down, until lightly browned.
- While still on the grill top your burger with your favourite cheese and grill until cheese starts to ooze a little.
- Place burger on bun and add your favourite condiments.