Several big family gatherings in July called for lots of great potluck, and easy to assemble type food. We had Manitoba, Alberta and Saskatchewan represented in our house over the course of several days, leaving many mouths to feed. So I made big salads and big food. This super grain salad with quinoa was one of them. So delicious and serves 10-12 with the possibility of leftovers. It’s one of my new favourite salads loaded with goodness and easy to take camping or to a BBQ.
I first discovered the PC grain blends a couple years ago when they launched them. Always loved them but it seems they’ve changed the packaging and keep relocating them in their stores. This makes it a challenge every time we go to find the item on the shelves. I love the 5 grains that are in this mix [spelt, barley, rice, wheat berries & oats] which really is a powerhouse in itself, but being a confessed quinoa addict, um fan, I have to be different and add a handful of quinoa into the mix as well. Just because. It’s one of those salads you could change up entirely based on your likes. This one was a hit at our potluck, and a keeper.
- 1 pkg [225g] PC Brand 5-Grain Blend cooked & cooled
- 1 cup quinoa cooked & cooled
- 2-3 cups arugula
- 1 cup edamame cooked
- 2 carrots peeled & diced small
- 1/2 red onion chopped into small dice
- 1/2 pepper red, orange, or yellow, diced
- 3/4 cup zucchini diced (we used yellow)
- 1/2 cup radishes sliced thin
- 1/2 cup pepitas [pumpkin seeds] toasted
- handful fresh chives chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- Pour all grains into a large serving bowl.
- Add arugula, edamame, carrots, onion, pepper, zucchini, and radishes. Season with salt and pepper, toss to combine.
- Make your dressing by whisking together olive oil, vinegar, orange juice and a pinch of salt & pepper. Pour on salad and toss.
- Sprinkle on chives and pepitas.