Love Summer for many reasons but quick and simple food appeal to me the most especially on hot days. Brightly coloured, fresh and tasty fruit and vegetables are inspiration everywhere you turn. I loves me a good bean salad and this one is simple enough to make while camping or at a cabin. In fact out at a cabin in Manitoba last week, is where I created this delicious salad.
We had been planning for two years to return to Clear Lake, Manitoba in 2013, after spending time there in 2011. As it turns out a rather large family gathering was also brewing for around the same time. Our return last week collided with the family gathering and it ended up being quite a large family affair with family folks coming and going throughout the week. Love being part of such a great, happy, social group of people – also known as my inlaws/outlaws. My brother and family also joined in on the fun and with all the people in attendance we completely covered Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
As it turns out husband and I celebrated our Anniversary while in Manitoba and decided to host a BYOBCM Potluck (Bring your own Booze, Chair and Meat) for all the family assembled in Clear Lake. We supplied the sides which consisted of: baked potatoes, quinoa salad, ceasar salad, green salad with fruit and a new grilled asparagus bean salad). It was a lovely evening spent with special family and we couldn’t have asked for a better Anniversary celebration. The wine flowed and the food was splendid. Since I received some good feedback on this salad I wanted to get it posted to share.
- 1 bunch asparagus rinsed & ends removed, grilled
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 1 19 oz can black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 pepper yellow, red, orange, diced
- 3 cobs corn husks & silk removed, grilled
- 2 green onions diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 2 tsp
- 1-2 tsp lime zest
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper
- Take your cooled corn on the cobs and carefully slice off the kernels. Rough chop your grilled asparagus. Place both in a bowl. Add in your chickpeas, black beans, diced pepper and green onions.
- In a measuring cup whisk together 1/4 cup oil, lime zest, lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust if necessary.
- Pour dressing over ingredients in bowl and lightly toss to combine. This salad can be made a couple hours in advance to let flavours marry or served immediately. You can also add chopped cilantro to the salad.