You won’t believe how easy these Grilled Cheese Wafflewich’s are to make. We experiment a lot with our pie irons when we go camping and are assembling quite a collection of these fantastic camping cooking tools. One of my favourite things right now to make with them is pie using canned pie filling and some dough I bring along and mix up on the spot. Treats on the fire.
More favourites include making pizzas in the pie irons and of course grilled cheese sandwiches. I love to grab leftover hamburger buns, or any kind of bread I can squish in and make a grilled cheese adding anything I can find. Breakfast sammy’s this way are equally fantastic using ham or bacon, scrambled eggs, cheese, veggies and the beat goes on.
We haven’t been camping yet this year but have four trips planned for the summer. I can’t wait. Until then the urge hit this weekend for one of the pie iron grilled cheese sammy’s so I pulled out the waffle maker. Plus I had some burger buns to use up. And some bacon.
The husband and the boy loved it. The girl was gone for the night so didn’t get to partake.
Make any variation you like, using regular bread or buns that are squishable. You will not be able to press a bun that is too firm (ie: pretzel bun) in either the pie iron or waffle maker.
- 2 burger buns
- 2 slices havarti
- 3 pieces bacon cooked & halved
- 1/2 green apple cored & sliced into thin pieces
- waffle maker
- Turn on waffle iron. Mine is set to medium (or a 3).
- On the outside of each bun (top and bottom) slather just a little butter on.
- Place bottom half of bun on waffle maker grill.
- Lay 3 pieces of bacon down. Add one piece of cheese.
- Top the cheese with 4 slices of green apple.
- Place the top part of the bun on top.
- Repeat with second bun.
- Close waffle iron and let it cook away until it yells (beeps) at you.
- Cut in half and enjoy.