My 3rd and final entry into the Great Cream Challenge 2014 was this really tasty Grilled Rustic Bacon Wrapped Chicken. For those that don’t know, this cross Canada recipe challenge pairs 3 Canadian Food Bloggers against each other in a special monthly cooking challenge. At the beginning of the year you pick three challenges (one per month) to participate in using real cream, and then start recipe testing until you find a winner.
One of the themes I picked was Grilling, perhaps cause the rest looked easy?! (honestly no idea why I choose grilling lol) When it came time to create and submit the recipe, I panicked for a few minutes thinking about how to use real cream on the grill. But once I settled down, I was able to brain storm and realize there are many options when it comes to grilling with cream.
And so enters a stuffed chicken breast (with cream cheese, cream and other goodies), wrapped in bacon, slapped on the grill and finished with a sage cream sauce. It was very good and of course you can use anything you like to stuff the chicken breast. I used what I could find in my fridge/pantry.
I enjoyed being part of the challenge, and got to know several of the food bloggers better through this friendly competition. Here is how I made the Grilled Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Chicken.
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 tbsp butter softened, divided
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
- 4 oz Canadian Cream Cheese softened
- 1 tbsp 35% cream
- 2 tbsp sundried tomatoes not in oil, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp artichoke hearts canned, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh sage chopped
- 3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts pounded to 1/4” thickness
- 6-10 thin slices of bacon
- Wooden toothpicks
- Sage Cream Sauce:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup chicken stock room temperature
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 tbsp Canadian Parmesan grated
- Trim asparagus ends. In microwave melt 1 tbsp of butter. Toss asparagus with butter and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Spray grill pan with cooking spray and add asparagus. Grill over medium high heat for 5 minutes or until desired tenderness. Remove from grill and set aside.
- With electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, remaining butter and cream until blended and smooth. Chop two of your grilled asparagus stalks into thin slices. Add to bowl along with sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and sage. Mix well.
- Lay out chicken breasts. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Take approximately 2 tablespoons of your cream cheese mixture and spread over each piece of chicken.
- Carefully roll up each chicken breast. Wrap each chicken breast with two pieces of bacon. If your breasts are large use three pieces of bacon. Secure bacon and ends of chicken roll ups with toothpicks.
- Grill over medium high heat, turning frequently until bacon is browned, approximately 5-6 minutes. Continue to grill over indirect heat for another 10 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove to platter and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve with remaining grilled asparagus and sage cream sauce.
Remove from heat and toss in sage and Parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese has melted and serve immediately over chicken on or on the side.