A special ingredient or you could call it a kitchen hack used in these Hot Chocolate Waffles makes them so delicious we have to double the recipe!
Hacks in simple terms as modifying or changing something in an unusual way. Like taking shortcuts in cooking or working with ingredients. Food hacks have been on trend for a couple years now offering all kinds of unique tips and tricks in the kitchen!
Our food hack idea comes from running out of one ingredient only to find another to use in it’s place. During Christmas and winter months we tend to have a lot of hot chocolate powder on hand. While making Nanaimo bars one day we had no cocoa powder, so tried hot cocoa powder instead. It worked perfectly!
Therefore it made perfect sense to substitute hot chocolate powder when we ran out of cocoa powder again while trying to make these waffles. As such, this food hack was born.
What to serve with hot chocolate waffles
Several ideas come to mind when serving these delectable bites! Try maple syrup, powdered sugar sprinkled on top, chocolate syrup or dulce de leche, whipping cream, fresh berries, pour on some marshmallow fluff or toasted marshmallows! We use a small kitchen torch to add a little brown to our marshmallows.
Or set up a waffle bar with a couple varieties of waffles and a whole whack of toppings!
Every recipe should come with tips, tricks, suggestions and alternatives! That’s why we aim to include them as much as possible.
- Swap buttermilk for milk or milk for buttermilk. Two percent and homogenized are good swaps.
- When cooking your waffles you may smell a bit of burn. Not to worry that’s the chocolate chunks touching the surface of the waffle maker.
- Swap white chocolate or your favourite chopped chocolate bar for semi sweet.
Breakfast or Brunch ideas
Breakfast is one of our favourite meals and we could eat breakfast for dinner every day! Here’s a few recipes we really must share with you.
There are so many different flavours of waffles you can make! What is your favourite flavour?!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup hot chocolate powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs separated
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 ounces of semi sweet chocolate rough chopped
- Nonstick spray oil
- Equipment needed: waffle maker
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Turn waffler maker on to preheat.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, hot chocolate powder, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and salt.
- In a second bowl add buttermilk, egg yolks, oil and vanilla. Mix lightly. Pour wet ingredients into into dry mixture along with chopped chocolate and stir until combined without over mixing.
- Carefully fold egg whites into batter.
- When waffle maker is ready spray with oil. This is important otherwise your waffles will stick (talking from experience).
- Using a 1/2 cup measuring scoop add your batter to waffle maker and cook until ready. Transfer to a dish and keep warm in oven until all waffles made and ready to eat.
- Serve with all your favourite toppings.